What makes an effective brand advertising campaign?
That was the core question at “The Ad Effectiveness X-Factor” panel, held last week as part at the 8th annual Advertising Week in Manhattan. Moderated by Kontera’s own EVP of Marketing, Ammiel Kamon, the esteemed speakers were Jason Krebs the CMO of Tremor Media; Sean O’Neal, the CRO of Vizu; Joe Zawadzki, the CEO of MediaMath; Florian Kahlert , SVP of Dimestore; and Kontera President Hal Muchnick.
Each industry insider shared an internal case study that provided a unique perspective on brand media strategies for either video, social, editorial placement, or display audience buying. Here are some of the key takeaways:
- Always measure the success of a brand campaign by real time brand lift, not by clicks.
- With online in-stream video, it’s not enough to syndicate TV ads, adding interactive elements will dramatically increase engagement.
- The best day for brand lift varies by vertical. For instance with hair products, Wednesday is the best day, while Sunday is the worst.
- You can save as much as $100,000 in buy effectiveness by optimizing a campaign in real time. Depending on when you start getting stable data, you can start optimizing within a day.
- Video is very hot right now and showing particular lift for CPG brands.
Another repeated theme during the panel was how placement matters for engagement. Aside from Hal Muchnick’s presentation on Kontera’s Ritz crackers/Glee Social ad unit, both the Vizu and Dimestore case studies spoke directly to the effectiveness Kontera’s contextual ads. For instance, in their brand study of a leading over the counter pain reliever, Vizu found that Kontera’s Editorial Placed units significantly outperformed the portal and endemic sites running the same campaign.
It truly was a fascinating discussion and well worth checking out. You can see video of the entire panel here.
Categories: Conferences & Events, Online Advertising Industry, Optimization, PPC Advertising